Most Archbishop Riordan students who become contributing members of the Marching, Concert, and Jazz bands arrive at Riordan with no previous musical experience. For those with a concentrated interest in music, our professional music faculty helps to cultivate these talents.
The Crusader Marching Band is proud to be the largest marching band in the city of San Francisco, and also an award-winning group. At the 2016 Fleet Week SF High School Band Challenge, the Band took home first place and a $10,000 prize. Under the leadership of Director Kyle Hildebrant and Assistant Director Edwin Serrano, the Riordan Marching Band continues to be a source of pride for all members of the Riordan community.
- In addition to competing in the NCBA (Northern California Bands Association) circuit,the Marching Band is a sought-after performer at some of the most popular Bay Area events, parades, festivals, and sporting events. Highlights include the Columbus Day Parade, St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Veteran’s Day Parade, and the Chinese New Year Parade.
- San Francisco Giants World Series Parades (2010 and 2012)
- Hawaiian Invitational (2005, 2010 and 2014)
- Disneyland Arts on Stage (1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012 and 2018)
- The National Independence Day Parade (2011) in Washington D.C, and Vancouver, BC.
- In addition, they have performed for many professional sporting events: Oakland Raiders halftime show (2011 and 2012), Golden State Warriors halftime show (2012), the America’s Cup (2013), and Super Bowl 50, and at the 2017 New Year’s Day Parade in Rome.
- The Band performed in the 2019 New Year’s Day Parade in London, with an audience of 3.5 million.
The Jazz Band and it’s smaller Jazz combo perform a varied repertoire that provide the students the opportunity to perform music in all eras of Jazz.