Coaching Positions for the 2013-2014 School Year
About Archbishop Riordan High School
About Archbishop Riordan High School
Archbishop Riordan High School is an urban Catholic high school for boys, owned by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco and
conducted by the Society of Mary, the Marianists, who are assisted by lay men and women. Archbishop Riordan prepares young men of San
Francisco, the surrounding communities and various countries from around the world for leadership through its inclusive college preparatory
curriculum. Archbishop Riordan fosters development in faith, character, academics, the arts and athletics, in a diverse and inclusive family
About the ARHS Department of Athletics
The Archbishop Riordan Department of Athletics represents more than 300 student-athletes competing in 11 interscholastic sports. Our coaches
are committed to the success of the student in the classroom, and fostering exemplary sportsmanship during competition
Multiple Openings in the Department of Athletics
The Department of Athletics is currently looking to fill the following coaching positions for the 2013-2014 season:
Head Golf Coach
Head Lacrosse Coach
Assistant Baseball Coach (multiple positions)
Assistant Soccer Coach (multiple positions)
We encourage applicants to review open teaching positions at Archbishop Riordan High School.
Head coaches are responsible for teaching the fundamentals of individual sports, practice planning, scheduling of non-league games, assisting with
maintenance of practice and game facilities, and working with the Director of Athletics to hire assistants (including Junior Varsity and Freshman
team coaches) and manage administrative responsibilities for your team.
In addition, all of our coaches serve as role models and mentors for players, encouraging their development academically, physically, emotionally
and spiritually. A candidate must possess strong organizational skills and have experience building successful teams and working cross functionally
with administration, teachers, assistant coaches, student-athletes and parents. He or she must also understand, implement and abide by the policies
set forth in the Archbishop Riordan High School Coaches' Handbook and Student Handbook with regard to coach and player behavior on and off the field.
- Previous coaching experience at the high school or college level preferred. Playing experience may be substituted.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the rules and regulations of high school sports.
Candidates must be available after school hours (beginning at 2:35 pm) through the conclusion of practice time, and for extended periods on weekends
and game days. Coaches are required to attend all practices, team contests, and year-round athletic meetings as required.
- Candidates with teaching experience are strongly encouraged to apply as teaching positions may become available.
Additional Requirements for Head Coach Positions
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Demonstrated record of successfully managing teams and other
- Reports directly to the Director of Athletics.
- Prepares and monitors the annual program budget, including
equipment and uniforms.
- Attends mandatory ARHS events, including monthly athletic
department meetings, the Fall Open House and Spring Freshman
- Supervises all members of their respective coaching staff.
- Understands and implements school policies, and CCS and CIF
rules and regulations regarding student eligibility.
- With the Director of Athletics, evaluates the coaching staff on
an annual basis in accordance with Department guidelines for best
practices in coaching.
- Coordinates as needed with school departments, including the
President, Principal, faculty, RSP staff, Dean of Students,
counseling and Campus Ministry staff regarding student academic
eligibility and successful participation in athletics
- With the Director of Athletics, coordinates scheduling of
practices and athletic contests, and transportation as needed.
- With the Equipment or Team Manager, ensures best practices with
regard to the use and replacement of equipment, and ensures safety
precautions are taken at all time to protect athletes.
- Manages record keeping of all athletic contests, and supervises
score reporting to the ARHS athletic site, www.riordanathletics.org,
and various media outlets.
- In coordination with the Director of Athletics, reports and
documents all newly hired coaches to school personnel, and ensures
that all new coaches are fingerprinted and cleared through the San
Francisco Archdiocesan "Shield the Vulnerable" program
- While in season, meets weekly with the Director of Athletics to
ensure that program goals are met.
- Liaises with the Athletic Booster Club President as needed
regarding volunteer and fundraising opportunities.
Time and Compensation
To apply, please email your Letter of Interest and Resume to:
Mr. Jesse West
Director of Athletics
Archbishop Riordan High
Applications will be reviewed starting July 1st and accepted until
positions are filled.